New York, Mar 25 (ANI): The caveman comedy 'The Croods' opened at No. 1 at the US box office raking in 44.7 million dollars over the weekend, according to Sunday studio estimates.
The 3-D adventure from DreamWorks Animation and 20th Century Fox features a voice cast including Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone and Catherine Keener.
They play a prehistoric family encountering danger and strange new creatures when they're forced to find a new cave.
Opening strongly in second place with 30.5 million dollars was 'Olympus Has Fallen,' an action thriller from 'Training Day' director Antoine Fuqua in which North Korean terrorists take over the White House.
'The Croods' has now made 108 million dollars worldwide, also opening this weekend in Russia, the United Kingdom, Germany and Spain, the New York Post reported.
In the United States, it's the only game in town as far as animated films for the whole family, and it will continue to be so as kids head out of school for spring break over the next couple of weeks.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at US and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com are:
1. The Croods, 44.7 million dollars (63.3 million dollars international).
2. Olympus Has Fallen, 30.5 million dollars (2.2 million dollars international).
3. Oz the Great and Powerful, 22 million dollars (21.7 million dollars international).
4. The Call, 8.7 million dollars.
5. Admission, 6.4 million dollars.
6. Spring Breakers, 5 million dollars (1.1 million dollars international).
7. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, 4.3 million dollars.
8. Jack the Giant Slayer, 3 million dollars (19.3 million dollars international).
9. Identity Thief, 2.5 million dollars (4.7 million dollars).
10. Snitch, 1.9 million dollars. (ANI)