Tranquebar - where time and tide dance in step
The lure of spices brought every European nation to India. Portugal, Holland, France, England -- they came one by one. Did you know that Denmark, too, was on that list? The little-known alcove of Tharangambadi, on Tamil Nadu's eastern coast, became Tranquebar to the Danish, who set up base there. One part of the Danes' mission was to evangelize the Protestant faith. Another was to colonize the island of Nicobar. Tharangambadi in Tamil means 'place of the dancing waves.' Today, time and tide dance in step among the ruins of Tranquebar.
ANAND YEGNASWAMI visited Tranquebar and returned with a slice of nearly forgotten history.
- Yahoo Lifestyle Entertainment Photo by Anand Yegnaswami/The Green Ogre Wed 7 Dec, 2011 10:51 AM IST
VIEW MORE TRAVEL GALLERIES
1 - 8 of 420
- Tue 3 Dec, 2013 2:00 AM IST
- Wed 4 Dec, 2013 1:00 AM IST
- Fri 22 Nov, 2013 4:00 PM IST
- Wed 23 Oct, 2013 4:00 AM IST
- Fri 29 Nov, 2013 11:00 PM IST
- Fri 29 Nov, 2013 5:00 PM IST
- Thu 28 Nov, 2013 11:00 PM IST
- Wed 27 Nov, 2013 4:00 PM IST