Bollywood still doesn't look kindly at celebrating a women's sexuality on screen and 'Cocktail' is the latest proof
Blog Posts by Sayoni Sinha
- In a scene from 'Cocktail', love-smitten Gautam (Saif Ali Khan) confesses to his glamorous girlfriend (Deepika Padukone) that he has fallen for her docile roommate (Diana Penty). She graciously blesses them and proceeds to show in the next scene why Saif chooses the other woman over her by drunk dancing on a table top in a skimpy dress. For the uninitiated, this is Bollywood's way of conforming to the stereotypes and proving why women-centric films will never find takers. Not saying that Cocktail is one or even close to it. Despite the risqué clothing and foreign locations, the Indian film industry still doesn't look kindly at celebrating a women's sexuality on screen.Despite Indian cinema's awe-inspiring 100-year journey, some things have not changed. While it gave us path-breaking films like 'Mother India', 'Astitva', 'Arth', 'Mandi' etc, the main grain of a filmRead More »from Why ‘Cocktail’ conforms to stereotypes
- Sayoni Sinha | Yahoo India Movies – Mon 9 Jul, 2012 4:49 PM IST
Aditi Rao Hydari to sing a special Hindi version of the Ice Age 4's theme song
Aditi Rao Hydari has been roped in to sing a special Hindi version of the Ice Age 4: Continental Drift theme song: 'We Are Family'.
The international version which has been sung by Jennifer Lopez and other actors who are voicing key characters will be given a unique Indian touch with a music video being planned as well. “Fox Star Studios India will give a unique touch to fun family theme of Ice Age 4 with the peppy song "We Are Family", which is a global hit already. I will be singing in Hindi and I feature in a special music video as well,” says Aditi.
Aditi who is also a huge fan of the series says,“The series just grew on me. I feel that the antics and funny camaraderie of Sid, Manny and Diego make this series watchable again and again! I love how these completely different animals become friends unwittingly and go through the most unusual and unique adventures together in each film. It is perhapsRead More »from Ice Age 4's Bollywood connection
- Sayoni Sinha | Yahoo India Movies – Thu 5 Jul, 2012 10:47 AM IST
Bol Bachchan team gifts 200 litres of milk to the famous ‘Master Chandagiram Akhara’ in Delhi
Continuing the promotional blitzkrieg, Ajay Devgn and Abhishek Bachchan gift 30 kgs of almonds and 200 litres of milk to the famous ‘Master Chandagiram Akhara’ in Delhi.
The 40*40 feet akhara has seen the presence of many international wrestlers was the special arena for the team of ‘Bol Bachchan’ to witness three different rounds of fights organized to entertain them.
Read: Ajay's new vocation
The team announced the winners of the three fights and gifted 30 kilograms of almonds. After the match, Ajay Devgn presented 200 liters of milk to the Akhara when he got to know that 6 wrestlers will represent India in London Olympics. “Master Chandagiram was one of the best-known wrestlers of India. I am privileged to have witnessed such a magnificent feat of strength and have thoroughly enjoyed our experience here”, said Devgn, who essays a pehelwan in the highly anticipated comedy flick.Read More »from Milking on promotions?
- Sayoni Sinha | Yahoo India Movies – Thu 28 Jun, 2012 11:20 PM ISTDedh Ishqiya will see Kangana Ranaut matching steps with Madhuri Dixit
Kangana Ranaut will soon be seen matching steps with the dancing queen Madhuri Dixit in her forthcoming film 'Dedh Ishqiya'. This film is a sequel of 2010 super hit Ishqiya. 'Dedh Ishqiya' will see Arshad Warsi and Naseeruddin Shah moving from Gorakhpur to Lucknow, where they will meet a Madhuri and Kangna from cultured Muslim family.
While Naseer will be seen romancing Madhuri, Arshad has been cast opposite Kangna. This film will see Kangna showing off her dancing skills. As Madhuri is one of the best dancers in the industry, matching steps with her will not be easy for her, but as Kangana is known for her professionalism she already started practicing dancing.Read More »from Dance of envy in 'Dedh Ishqiya'
Sources say, “She is really excited and is also working very hard on her dancing skills as matching steps with Madhuri will not be an easy task for her. Though she is trained in classical dancing, but still she is very nervous and confident at the same
- Sayoni Sinha | Yahoo India Movies – Thu 21 Jun, 2012 4:45 PM IST
For six decades, Maratha Mandir Cinema has stood its ground like an aging superstar. Here’s his story
On a Sunday morning, outside Maratha Mandir Cinema, a small group of people are haggling at the ticket counter only to be informed that all 289 balcony seats are fully booked. Luckily, I had bought my ticket way in advance and watched the film along with members of the working class, groups of students, some couples and few families, some with their luggage by their sides. Most of them were quite familiar with the film and repeated the dialogues and hooted during the song sequences. Some even dozed off in between and asked their neighbours to wake them up for some special scenes. For the uninitiated, this is a Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge screening which has been running at the theatre for the last 17 years.
Once upon a time
This aging superstar has seen many ups and downs in its career spanning six decades. Started in 1958 by Golcha Properties, the 1102-seat theatre became famous withRead More »from Maratha Mandir: Dust to glory