Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash resigns after more sex allegations

London, Nov 21 (ANI): Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash has resigned from 'Sesame Street' in the wake of claims that he had sex with an underage youth, as a further allegation emerged.

Last week a man accused Clash, 52, of having sex with him when he was a teenage boy, a claim he denied. A day later, the man withdrew his charge.

Now a second accuser, Cecil Singleton, has filed a 5 million-dollar lawsuit alleging that when he was 15, when he was persuaded by Clash to meet for sexual encounters.

Singleton claims he met the then 32-year-old puppeteer in 1993 in a gay chat room.

His lawsuit, filed in New York, added that on numerous occasions over a period of years Clash engaged in sexual activity with him.

Following his resignation Sesame Workshop said: "Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding Kevin's personal life has become a distraction that none of us wants, and he has concluded that he can no longer be effective in his job and has resigned from Sesame Street."

"This is a sad day for Sesame Street," the New York-based non-profit organisation added.

In a statement of his own, Clash said: "Personal matters have diverted attention away from the important work Sesame Street is doing and I cannot allow it to go on any longer."

"I am deeply sorry to be leaving and am looking forward to resolving these personal matters privately," he said. (ANI)