Elton John calls truce with Madonna

London, April 29 (ANI): Sir Elton John has said that his nearly decade-long war of words with Madonna has come to an end.

The pair has been exchanging insults since 2004, when John, 66, accused Madonna of lip-syncing in her live concerts.

Even the 54-year-old's husband David Furnish criticised her directing career, declaring that "she should stick to what she's good at," during last year's Golden Globes ceremony,

But relations apparently hit rock bottom last August when Sir Elton told an Australian TV channel that Madonna "looks like a fairground stripper" and said that "her career is over - she's such a nightmare".

Earlier, John claimed that his comments were intended to be off the record, so when the feuding pop stars coincidentally dined at the same restaurant in France, a few days later, he felt obliged to apologise.

Now, he has told US television show Extra that he sent over a note as the Queen of Pop came to the restaurant.

John said that Madonna was very gracious and he apologised profusely because what he said should never have appeared in public.

"She accepted our apology and then we bought her dinner. She was really great about it. I was very relieved because she had every right to say 'I don't want to talk'," he said.

A few days later Madonna dedicated a song to him at a concert in Nice. (ANI)