Google ordered to remove Max Mosley sex party images

Alexandria Sage
6 November 2013
Former motor-racing boss Max Mosley leaves after attending the release of Lord Justice Brian Leveson's report on media practices in central London November 29, 2012. REUTERS/Andrew Winning/Files

By Alexandria Sage

PARIS (Reuters) - A French court ordered Google on Wednesday to find a way to remove recurring links to nine images of former motor racing Formula One chief Max Mosley, who was photographed in 2008 at an orgy with prostitutes.

The civil dispute in the Paris Superior Court relates to photographs of Mosley published by the defunct London British tabloid News of the World that were accompanied by an article suggesting he had organised a "sick Nazi orgy."

Mosley has acknowledged that he engaged in sado masochistic activity with the five women and paid them 2,500 sterling, but denied the orgy was Nazi-themed.

The decision is a setback to Google as it tries to defend a global stance that the search engine is merely a platform that delivers links to content and it should not be responsible for policing them.

Although Google can delete images on its website, it cannot prevent others reposting them, resulting in a constant game of catch-up.

In a statement, Google said the court's request would require it to build a new software filter to continuously catch new versions of the posted images and remove them.

"This is a troubling ruling with serious consequences for free expression and we will appeal it," said Google's Associate General counsel Daphne Keller in a statement.

"Even though we already provide a fast and effective way of removing unlawful material from our search index, the French court has instructed us to build what we believe amounts to a censorship machine,"

Mosley, 73, won earlier privacy cases against the tabloid both in Britain and in France, arguing that the images were defamatory.

In this case Mosley said Google had not done enough to remove images that could still be seen on the search engine.

COURT RULING

The court ordered the Mountain View, California company to "remove and cease, for a period of five years beginning two months after this decision, the appearance of nine images identified by Max Mosley in the Google Images search engine results."

Google, which did not say whether it planned to appeal, was ordered to pay 1 euro in damages and Mosley 5,000 euros costs.

The company's existing system to remove content that breaches individuals' privacy laws is "an effective way of helping Mr. Mosley," Keller added.

In a blog post published in September, Google said it had already removed "hundreds of pages for Mr. Mosley" as part of a process that helps people delete specific pages from Google's search results after they have been shown to violate the law.

Google, along with other technology companies, has lobbied against a draft European law in Brussels that would give consumers greater rights to ask that their content be removed from websites. (Reporting By Alexandria Sage and Leila Abboud)

What to read next

You'll Love This Disney Movie Club Offer!

Get 4 Disney Movies For $1 With Membership. See Details. Exclusive Titles, Merchandise, Offers & Discounts. Plus, Free Shipping On Your Initial Order!

VA Mortgage Rates In 2016

VA Rates as Low as 2.75% (3.028% APR) 15 Year Fixed. Exclusive For Veteran & Military Takes 1 Min!

Ready When You Are

Hard work, meet high tech. Available active-level four corner air suspension adapts to support any load.

Symptoms and Treatments for Prostate Cancer

The 5-Year survival rate for prostate cancer is almost 100%. Learn what to watch for and search for prostate cancer treatments here.

Drivers Born Between 1953 And 1983 Must Read This

United States drivers who drive less than 50mi/day will be surprised. If you pay more than $50/month for auto insurance, you better read this...

She's With Us, That's Why #ImWithHer.

Hillary is fighting for all Ameircans. Join her campaign today if you have her back.