By Enkayaar, Glamsham Editorial
RAMAIYA VASTAVAIYA produced by Tips Films which is the launching pad of owner of Tips, Kumar Taurani's son Girish Kumar seems to be joining the league of such films where the debutant (s) ride on the glory of the songs of the film to take their call at the box office and try to carve their footing. It is one or two songs of the film that create a buzz around the movie, as in case of RAMAIYA VASTAVAIYA it is the song- Jeene Laga hoon, which seems to have become the theme song for the youth of the country, who has been caught in such a rut in their lives that they have forgotten to live, and the song perhaps is the reminder call for them to prioritize their lives. As RAMAIYA VSTAVAIYA readies for release, here is a run through few of such film which set the tone for RAMAIYA VASTAVAIYA:
1. AASHIQUI 2- The launch film for Aditya Roy Kapoor indeed was sweetened by the super hit song- Sun Raha Hai na tu- sung both in male and female voices and it still continues to dominate in the music charts around the countryside and elsewhere.
2. AASHIQUI- If one were to really trace the template of songs creating the buzz for the film, it would be AASHIQUI produced by Gulshan Kumar that really set the trend for music being the deciding factor in ensuring footfalls when the film released. It was Gulshan Kumar who took the music to masses by cutting down the prices drastically and as a by-product bought the common man into the loop and through music created urge in him to see the songs on the screen as soon as the film was released.
3. QAYAMAT SE QAYAMAT TAK: One wonders were it not for the music of the film, whether the initial footfalls in the cinema halls by the romance stuck young fans could have materialized and made QSQT such a roaring success, especially the song- Papa Kehte hain and it was a clarion call for all the children to throng the cinema halls and see how they could convert dreams and aspirations that their parents had about them.
4. LOVE STORY: The debut film of Kumar Gaurav which was set to score by R D Burman aka Pancham-da indeed set the tone for the audience to throng the cinema halls, as the pang of falling in love was aptly captured through the song- yaad aa rahee hai.
5. EK DUJE KE LIYE: It was the song of the film that ensured that EK DUJE KE LIYE was a roaring hit and it marked the phenomenal debut of Kamal Hassan and Rati Agnihotri in the world of Hindi cinema. There was nothing much in the movie, but it was the situational songs that riveted the audience to their seats and bought copious tears as also set cash flow ringing at box office.
The oeuvre of such examples indeed is quite huge, and this list is just a snapshot of such compilations. One only hopes that for Girish Kumar such examples of success would be catalyst to carve his own niche in the world of Hindi cinema.