Savoury Herb and Cheese bites
Lip-smacking herb and cheese bites
As the monsoon rolls to an end, you know you’re going to start entertaining again. Instead of spending tons of money on store bought crackers and chips, try these. They’re healthy, in the sense that you know exactly what you’re putting in – no preservatives, fillers or extra salt. They taste super fresh, are easy to make and guilt free too!
These bites can be customised with a variety of fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, and oregano. Try flavouring them with a spot of cracked black pepper to spice it up for our Indian palate. You can also add some cayenne pepper for a kick.
Top these bites with some cured ham for meat eaters, or a cucumber spread for a light and refreshing appetizer, for vegetarians.
300gm all purpose flour
1 tsp minced tarragon
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground white pepper
115gm butter, cold and cut into cubes
250gm sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1. In a medium bowl, set the tarragon, pepper, salt and flour aside.
2. In a food processor, process the cheese and butter together till they resemble peas. Alternatively, rub the cheese and the butter together, till they resemble breadcrumbs.
3. Pour in the flour mixture and process till it comes together and looks like coarse meal.
4. Remove the entire mixture on a lightly floured surface and knead till it comes together.
5. Divide into two sections. Roll each section into a log, about 1½ inches in diameter.
6. Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
7. Bake at 180 degrees, in a preheated oven for about 12 minutes, till the sides turn golden.
Related Articles -