Wealthy Londoners race underground before basement bonanza ends

By Belinda Goldsmith

LONDON (Reuters) - Wealthy homeowners in some of London's most affluent neighbourhoods are racing to build luxury basements with swimming pools and wine cellars before new rules limiting underground developments come into force.

Over the past decade a growing number of property owners unable to build up or out in tight London streets have opted to dig down, bypassing rules governing above-ground work and encouraged by technological advances in building basements.

Tetra Pak heir Hans Rausing this week joined the list of the super wealthy to get approval to build a pool, cinema, and cigar room under his London mansion where his wife's body lay hidden for two months last year after her drug-related death.

Chelsea Football Club owner Roman Abramovich, Formula 1 heiress Tamara Ecclestone, and steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal are among those dabbling with basement extensions in recent years.

But the construction of mega basements is about to be reined in with authorities in the two most affected London areas finalising stricter rules for subterranean work in response to community anger about the disruption and structural impact.

Final comments on the plans had to be submitted this week.

Resident groups around London have grown increasingly angry about basement extensions causing noise and disturbance during construction, traffic problems, vermin, and fear developments will impact structural stability of nearby buildings.

"There were just no rules and we've had quite a few accidents, such as a skip (dumpster) cracking through the street and water leaking into neighbouring properties," said Randa Hanna, spokeswoman for the Belgravia Residents' Association.

"There really has been an astronomical rise in the number of basement developments, many of which were not monitored properly, and introducing some rules is a step forward."

VALUE ADDING

Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster councils' plans to introduce new rules in early 2014 to target and restrict basement development prompted a rush of applications this year.

The new rules will make major basement extensions more difficult as excavations deeper than one storey will only be allowed in exceptional circumstances and basement extensions covering more than 50 percent of the garden will not be allowed.

Developers expect other councils in London may follow suit.

"This summer we've seen people rushing to get consent for basement developments, advised to do so by us and their architects," said Charlie Bubear, head of the Chelsea office of Savills real estate agency.

"This can add significant value to a property. Basement conversions are the only way to go if you want to extend and it avoids the costs of having to move but you can understand resentment to living next to a building site."

Bubear said it costs about 500 pounds per square foot to build a basement but properties in the area sell for up to 2,500 per square foot with double digit price rises annually.

A spokeswoman for Kensington & Chelsea Council, one of Britain's most expensive areas where semi-detached houses cost an average 6.1 million pounds, said a record number of applications had been received this year.

In the first five months the council received 166 basement applications compared with 297 in all of 2012 - a sharp contrast from 2001 when 46 basement applications were submitted. Since 2009 it has received over 1,000 applications and approved nearly 800.

Hanna said the new rules should slow down the pace of basement developments but they would not stop it altogether.

"It is too much to say you can't build in your own home but these developments need to be monitored better," she said. (Reporting by Belinda Goldsmith, editing by Paul Casciato)

Latest News

  • Sharon Stone joins Galderma for global campaign

    New Delhi, April 1 (IANS) Hollywood actress Sharon Stone has teamed up with a pharmaceutical subsidiary offering facial fillers and anti-wrinkle treatments for a global campaign to make cosmetic procedures socially acceptable. The 57-year-old will embark on the campaign with dermatology brand Galderma, batting for the thought that aesthetic treatments can enhance natural looks by demonstrating the results of Restylane Fillers and Restylane Skinboosters in real life. "I'm excited about …

  • Having sex outside marriage is not empowerment: Sonakshi Sinha

    Mumbai, April 1 (IANS) Actress Sonakshi Sinha does not agree with her contemporary Deepika Padukone's ideas about choice of freedom in "My Choice", a video aimed at spreading awareness about women empowerment. The video shows Deepika talking about the freedom of choice that women must have regarding multiple issues, including having the choice to indulge in sex before marriage or out of marriage or not having sex at all. "Women empowerment is not always about the kind of clothes you wear, not …

  • 'Udta Punjab' made Alia fly off social media

    Mumbai, April 1 (IANS) The young and versatile Alia Bhatt was missing from the virtual platform for quite sometime. Abhishek Chaubey's film that addresses prevalent drug menace in Punjab also stars Shahid Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor Khan among others. Meanwhile, Alia has been finalised for Shakun Batra's upcoming modern family drama film "KAPOOR and SONS", which also stars Sidharth Malhotra, Pakistani actor Fawad Khan and veteran actor Rishi Kapoor. -*- Kapil croons for his debut film …

  • Abhishek to do cameo in Aishwarya's comeback film

    Mumbai, April 1 (IANS) Sanjay Gupta's action film "Jazbaa" is special in many ways. It not only marks the comeback of actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, but also features her husband and actor Abhishek Bachchan in a special role. The film's director took to micro-blogging site Twitter to share the news. "Big excitement at the shoot today as Abhishek Bachchan shoots his special appearance in JAZBAA," Gupta tweeted. …

  • 'Citylights' to be screened at NYIFF

    Mumbai, April 1 (IANS) Hansal Mehta's film "Citylights", which narrates a heart-wrenching tale of a couple who migrates to Mumbai to fulfill their dreams, will be screened at the upcoming edition of New York Indian Film Festival (NYIFF). Elated over the news, the director says screening dates are yet to be announced. "Citylights" is the story of Deepak Singh, who is forced to migrate to Mumbai from Rajasthan with his wife and child. Produced by Fox Studios and Mahesh Bhatt, "Citylights" film …

  • I'm not a greedy actor, says Nana Patekar

    Mumbai, April 1 (IANS) Veteran actor Nana Patekar says he does not want to involve himself with "too many" films because he is "not greedy" and he does not intend to buy luxury cars and bungalows. Choosy about his work, the acclaimed actor told IANS: "Whenever somebody comes to me with a script, I ask a question to myself - 'Why do I want to do the film?'. …

  • Pepsi MTV Indies kick off 'SPIRO' with 'The INDIE AwkWARDS'

    Mumbai, April 1 (IANS) TV Channel Pepsi MTV Indies will give a headstar to a four-day indie experience 'SPIRO' through a spoof award show - 'The INDIE AwkWARDS' on Wednesday. Artistes such Vishal Dadlani, Yo Yo Honey Singh and Monica Dogra have been nominated for multiple awards in the Indie AwkWARDS, which is touted as "India's only officially rigged awards". Pepsi MTV Indies that launched in February last year, is said to be reaching about 25 million homes and 10 million weekly viewers …

  • Swastika wanted meaningful film for Bollywood journey

    Mumbai, April 1 (IANS) Bengali actress Swastika Mukherjee, who is making inroads into Hindi movies with Dibakar Banerjee's "Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!", says she wanted a "meaningful" film and it could not have been bigger than this. Swastika told IANS: "I started with TV and did lots of commercial films, but when this new age films trend started in Bengali film industry, I stopped doing commercial films and moved on to that kind of films." "So, (I knew) if I am working in Bollywood, then it …

Loading...